WIS 10901: ORA-01830 date format picture ends before converting entire input string

ORA-01830 date format picture ends before converting entire input string. (WIS 10901)


Scenarios when I could expect this error:

Convert Date field to other format.

Example
I want to calculate a filter for rolling 12 months. TBL_DIMN_CALN_POST.D_PERD is my date field and I want to filter is for last 12 months.
In BOBJ universe, I am creating a pre-defined filter as
TBL_DIMN_CALN_POST.D_PERD between  to_date(trunc(add_months(sysdate,-12),'MM'),'dd-mm-yy') and  to_date(trunc(sysdate,'MM')-1,'dd-mm-yy')
I am parsing it is everything looks fine.

When I pull the pre-defined object to create a Webi report, it throws error
ORA-01830 date format picture ends before converting entire input string. (WIS 10901)
Possible Reason
Date format has extra data (dd-mm-yyyy HH:mi:ss). We try to convert to a valid date where the first part of the date (dd-mm-yyyy) is required not the remaining data (HH:mi:ss).

In above example, SYSDATE has a format of dd-mm-yyyy HH:mi:ss and we are trying to change it to 'dd-mm-yy'.

Possible Solution
Include the missing Date parts in conversion.

Example
TBL_DIMN_CALN_SERV.D_PERD between  to_date(trunc(add_months(sysdate,-12),'MM'),'dd-mm-yy hh24:mi:ss') and   to_date(trunc(add_months(sysdate,-6),'MM')-1,'dd-mm-yy hh24:mi:ss')

If again, we want to truncate it to “dd-mm-yy” format, we can use to_char function for that.

**Please check List of Error Codes for a detailed list of common errors. **

2 comments:

  1. fabulous information you have shared, I would like to say thanks for you. Please share more valuable content on msbi online course

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great article here. I was searching for something like this for quite a long time and at last I’ve found it on your blog. It was definitely interesting for me to read about their market situation nowadays. Well written article Thank You for Sharing with Us pmp training Chennai | pmp training centers in Chenai | pmp training institutes in Chennai | pmp training and certification in Chennai | pmp training in velachery

    ReplyDelete